St. Louis, MO
The successful candidate will establish and optimize methods for discovery and validation of genetic regions that contribute to phenotypic traits of interest. These regions will be targeted for crop improvement via breeding, genome editing or recombinant DNA technologies. The candidate will be responsible for leveraging diverse large data sets and the latest AI and machine learning technology to enable this discovery. This person will work closely with Benson Hill biological scientists, software engineers, data scientists and project leaders to help maximize the impact Benson Hill’s CropOS platform. Benson Hill is building the future of agricultural genomics, and looking for scientists who can contribute to our vision.
- Design, planning and execution of data science projects to drive the evaluation and integration of diverse crop, biological and genomics data sets
- Lead experimental design and analysis for testing biological hypotheses
- Execute predictive modeling efforts, applying the best AI and machine learning methods to predict biological targets
- Effectively communicate results in written and visual formats to other scientists as well as non-scientist, clients and company leaders
Education and Experience:
- PhD in computational biology, population genetics or quantitative genetics, applied mathematics, crop science, statistics, or closely related field with experience in biological systems.
- At least 5 years hands-on experience developing and analyzing complex biological data sets with actionable outputs.
- Ability to work in collaborative team, and the ability to respond positively to critiques of work.
- Agility and ability to deliver in a highly dynamic work environment with diverse priorities.
- A track record of producing deliverables and meeting tight release deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, both digital and in-person.
- Experience using large genetic, or –omic data sets to solve problems in biology or molecular genetics
- Experience using advanced statistical, machine learning, and AI concepts, methodologies and libraries
- Programming experience with ability to code in at least one scripting language, Python preferred.
- Excellent planner, organizer, critical thinker, and problem solver.
- Strong record of personal development and learning new technologies.
- Background and experience using AWS or experience with other cloud architectures, and parallelized computation systems
Benson Hill Biosystems is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the U.S. Benson Hill Biosystems is not able to sponsor applicants for work visas.