St. Louis, MO
The Research Scientist, Protein Biochemistry, will be responsible for conducting activities related to protein expression, purification, detection, characterization, and assay development. The Research Scientist will be a key member of Benson Hill Biosystems’ Research & Development team and will work in a fast-paced and collaborative startup company atmosphere, interacting closely with an interdisciplinary team across multiple locations. The position is based in St. Louis, MO.
- Protein extraction and isolation from plant tissues.
- Protein expression and purification of recombinant proteins in heterologous systems.
- Protein characterization and quantification including but not limited to: SDS-PAGE, western blot, ELISA, protein concentration, and enzyme assays.
- Communicate results and research progress to management and team members.
- Maintain detailed and organized records of project data and other materials as needed.
- Contribute to scientific discussions and present outcomes to colleagues.
Education and Experience:
- PhD with 2-5 years or MS with 5-10 years of laboratory experience in biochemistry, chemistry, molecular biology, or a related discipline.
- Experience in an industrial biotechnology setting.
- Knowledge of plant biochemistry and molecular biology.
- Knowledge of membrane protein expression and purification.
- Knowledge of protein isolation and purification from native and recombinant sources.
- Knowledge of protein purification using AKTA and HPLC systems.
- Knowledge of analytical method validation.
- Knowledge of good laboratory practice.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent planner, organizer, critical thinker, and problem solver, with a demonstrated ability to efficiently execute project tasks.
Benson Hill Biosystems is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the U.S. Benson Hill Biosystems is not able to sponsor applicants for work visas.